Łasztownia (ger. Lastadie) is located in the very heart of Szczecin, vis-a-vis the Chrobry Embankment. It is a river island whose history stratches back to the Middle Ages. After the Allied air raids of 1942 - 1944, most of the buildings on Łasztownia were destroyed. Currently, Łasztownia is one of the most interesting (and most mysterious) places in Szczecin. One particularly interesting spot is the part of the Old Town Wharf situated right next to the historic cranes, affectionately dubbed the "cronosaurs". Following recent renovation works, they have regained their former splendour. Symbols of the port of Szczecin, these historical cranes from 1929 are their most beautiful during the cyclic events organised on the Oder river.