The Royal Gate
Designed by Gerhard Cornelius van Wallrawe, this Baroque structure was built in 1725-1727 and its purpose was to protect the city from the north. Shielded by Peter’s and Mill Bastions, it was initially called the Anklam Gate (Anklamer Tor), but after the visit of the Prussian King Frederick Wilhelm IV in 1841, its name was changed to the Royal Gate (Königs Tor). It features sculptures made by B. Damart: the mythical figures of Mars and Hercules, tied up slaves, panoplies, emblems, trophies, the Prussian eagle, the golden royal crown, and other embellishments. In recent years a thorough renovation of the internal (southern) facade was performed. The western wall features a bronze plaque unveiled on 30 June 1999 dedicated to the Polish General Dezydery Chłapowski. General Chłapowski, owner of an estate in Turwia in Wielkopolska, as a subject of the Prussian King, was sentenced by the Court in Wschowa to two years in a citadel in 1831 for illegal participation in the November Uprising. He spent several months of his sentence in the Szczecin Prusy Fort in 1833.
In 1724-1873, under the Prussian rule, the Szczecin stronghold had three forts (Prusy, Wilhelm, and Leopold/Anhalt), nine ramparts, and six gates.