The Part of the Medieval Fortification of City Walls
Soon after Szczecin was granted the Magdeburg rights in April 1243, the city authorities decided to erect defensive walls. From the south the city was guarded by the Holy Spirit Gate (mentioned as early as in 1306). It was named after the hospital chapel of the Holy Spirit which lay outside the fortifications, further to the south. The fact that the city was located on two levels was a major difficulty, as the walls needed to run from the upper to the lower level on the edges of ravine slopes. This was why the lower part of the defensive wall also served to support the escarpment. The visible part of the wall was the extension of the retaining wall supporting the Dog Hill scarp, along which the curtain wall of the main defensive wall ran several metres further south.
The following memorial plaque was fixed on the wall to commemorate the chase of Polish hussars led by Stefan Czarniecki after the retreating Swedish Army following the famous “Deluge”: “1657-1957. On the three-hundredth anniversary of the campaign of Hetman Stefan Czarniecki’s troops in the Szczecin land. The People of West Pomerania.”
In the Middle Ages there was a poorhouse (Pinsenhaus) near the Holy Spirit Gate run by Beguines, which in 1726 was converted into an education facility with a spinning mill (Zucht und Spinnhaus).