The Monument with the Anchor
Tobruk Square (the Market Square) was established after 1873, following the demolition of the southern section of the Szczecin fortress retrenchments, together with the Green and the Holy Ghost Bastions.
Thee monument made by Prof. Ludwig Manzal, referred to as the Manzal Fountain, was unveiled after the official opening by Emperor William II of the western pool of the duty-free port on 23 September 1898. On top of the plight of the monument-fountain, sized 30, 20 m per 11.4 m, stood a bronze boat pushed by Zeus and Maia, on the bow of which sat their son, Hermes, the God of trade. They were surrounded by sea monsters. A standing eight-metre-tall ancient female figure of Sedina, wearing an airy dress, with her right hand resting on an anchor, and her left hand supporting the boom leaning on her left arm, constituted the major element of the monument. The figure of Sedina symbolised the proud commercial city of Szczecin and its residents.
In the upper part of the fountain, the water flew in cascades between the water and marshy plants. Based on a resolution passed by the authorities in June 1942, the sculpture, similar to other bronze elements, was disassembled as part of the precious stone reserves to be used in military industry, and stored in the camping square in Świerczewo. After the War the sculpture got lost and the plinth was decorated with an anchor.
The monument is surrounded by trees and shrubs, including butterfly bushes, a short-needled European yew (around 5.5 m tall), two huge eastern black walnuts, four pedunculate oaks, two common red-leaved beeches, a large-leaved linden, a silver maple and a field maple