This late-Gothic burgher house was built in 1547 by the Loitzes, whose ancestors earned fame for their loyal service at the ducal court in mid-15th Century, and later traded in salt and herrings. Finally, they became bankers and thanks to their family relationships they established banks in Gdańsk and Lüneburg and exchange offices in Europe’s major cities. They held prominent positions in the Szczecin City Council.
The Loitzes granted a substantial loan to the Elector of Brandenburg Joachim II Hector and the Polish King Sigismund II Augustus for the development of the sea fleet. After the two died, the Loitzes could not enforce the debt repayment and declared bankruptcy in 1572, after which they quietly left Szczecin for Poland. The crash caused by their downfall upset the then economy of Europe for several decades.
Later the building went through various times. It was the home of the Swiss engineer Abraham Dubendorf, who in 1729-1732 built a pipeline transporting water from the Warszewskie Hills to the city, which is why the backstreet, besides the Loitzerhof (“the Loitz Alley”), was also called Schweitzerhof (“the Swiss Alley”)
During allied bombings in 1944 the burgher house was destroyed. After its post-War reconstruction it was handed over to the Secondary School of Fine Arts.
The façade features late-Gothic tracery, a flight of stairs with slanted windows and a copy of a bas-relief made in sandstone depicting the Conversion of Saul. The original comes from the workshop of Schenck Bethe and is exhibited in the National Museum at ul. Staromłyńska.